Neo's RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Neo's RP

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Evangelion Thread

Go down 
+2
Seraph
Neo Bahamut
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Neo Bahamut
Unyielding Force of Thoroughbred Penis
Neo Bahamut

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Because Harley & I have gone over possibly doing an Eva RP, & I need to brush up on it.

But before that, can someone explain to me what is so damn great about Rebuild? I keep seeing comments on YouTube literally stating that "everything about it is better than the original." What? I mean, yeah, they're kind of cool, but the original has a legacy, man. It mind raped a generation. And, to be quite frank, the changes don't impress me very much. We have Mari, who's been pretty Sue so far, 2 Angels that only exist for Asuka & Mari to obliterate them in a couple of seconds, & the new Sahaquiel, which is ugly as fuck.

Some things, like Beast Mode, are pretty neat, but again, that's just a slightly different version of something I've already seen. Unit 01 just chowin' down on Zeruel had way more impact.
Back to top Go down
https://neon.rpg-board.net
Seraph

Seraph

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 9:12 pm

Its a sequel. The clues are super subtle so you have to be on point and your A game to really notice that Re:Build is a sequel series taking place in a world that's come back from its state at the end of EoE.

What's better about it? There's some better scenes and a few things are handled a bit better. Shinji's less of a wimp being the best thing overall but otherwise its mostly the same just different.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 11:25 pm

In order:

I am aware of the sequel theory, but find it highly unlikely, for so many reasons that I'll have to spoiler tag it:

Spoiler:

There are some better scenes, but also some weaker ones. For instance, there has been no implication so far that any of the Angels are interested in humans, which was a major plot point throughout the second half of the series, & one of the things that made it unusual.

Another thing that made it unusual was that Shinji wasn't a badass, nor should he have been. The whole point was that when you take a kid with a shitty background & make him fight giant monsters to the death, you end up with a mentally disturbed weirdo. Still, I think original Shinji did as well as anyone could expect. I'd have let the Angels kill everyone after, like, episode 1.
Back to top Go down
HarleyThomas

HarleyThomas

Quote : My dreams are higher than the fucking sky!

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 12:09 am

Sahaqual in Rebuild was fucking scary. Not Ramiel scary, but scary enough.

And Shinji not being a total wimp is on par with how he is in the manga. He's a damn wimp, but he's something of a mouthy, cynic of a wimp.

Then kick starting the apocalypse to save Rei was damn awesome. Also probably the only way to defeat Zeruel considering nothing short of God can do so. Of course the lot of this is from my view point as a ReixShinji shipper. Sans the bit about Zeruel. A rabid monster of an Eva and enough armaments to wipe Europe off the map weren't able to stop it.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 12:18 am

See, I just don't understand the claim that "everything is better." We don't even know where the plot is going yet, but it's been kinda stereotypical so far. Even if you like the Rei Rescue--& you can't pay me enough to give half a fuck about Rei--you have to admit that it's still your standard shonen faire.
Back to top Go down
HarleyThomas

HarleyThomas

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 12:22 am

As much as I enjoy that scene to the point of getting all teary eyed, 3.0 will probably deconstruct the whole Always Save the Girl thing.

Which probably won't end well which is to be expected.
Back to top Go down
Seraph

Seraph

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 1:30 am

Probably. We'll see. Re:Build is suppose to be less depressing overall.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 12:32 am

What was the backstory of Eva again, anyway? Something like "14 years ago a meteorite hit Antarctica (Second Impact), destroying the continent, raising sea levels, & devastating nations worldwide"? But that doesn't really explain what people thought that Nerv was for.
Back to top Go down
HarleyThomas

HarleyThomas

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 12:47 am

It's a branch of tbe UN whose purpose is to aid in the restoration of Earth. By fighting cosmic horrors.
Back to top Go down
Seraph

Seraph

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 1:14 am

3.0 was kind of dumb.

When Neo gets around to the spoilers he's going to rage hard.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 1:23 am

Yeah, I kind of expect it to be dumb. It hasn't been that great so far. Still, I'm trying to avoid spoilers until I can finally see it.

And that's the thing, it seemed like people knew about the Angels before they showed up. The general public, not just Nerv.
Back to top Go down
HarleyThomas

HarleyThomas

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 1:28 am

Shinji didn't just kickstart the apocalypse, he fucking caused it!

BAD. ASS.
Back to top Go down
HarleyThomas

HarleyThomas

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 1:36 am

Shinji didn't just kickstart the apocalypse, he fucking caused it!

BAD. ASS.
Back to top Go down
Seraph

Seraph

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 3:58 am

Yeah.

Also if an Evangelion rp is actually made I think I'd actually invest in it. For real this time. If so I call dibs on unit 06 from the Re:Build cause its my favorite.

If I did join I'd probably make a creepy white haired pretty boy who stayed up late frequently in the EVA bay and sang nursery songs to the EVAs.
Back to top Go down
HarleyThomas

HarleyThomas

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 4:01 am

That's all terrible. Especially as the lot of us know nothing about 3.0. My little knowledge comes from TV Tropes and it angers me.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 4:10 am

Here is what has been decided upon so far:

>The RP is going to be alternate continuity, based on NGE the First's world rules.
> Part of that includes using original Evangelions, with slightly more customization than was available in the show.
>Also, I don't want to set it in Japan, because I'm tired of setting RPs in a country on the other side of the world that I know fuck-all about.
>Eva pilots do not have to be 14, all they have to be is born within a few years of Second Impact. Also, I may or may not move back the date of said impact. Basically, I don't want grizzled war vets, but forcing everyone to be prepubescent, let alone the same age, is too limiting. Unless the character is not an Eva pilot, obviously.
>Angels may be from the original, Rebuild, extracanonical materials, or (probably rarer) completely new.

Beyond that, I am unsure about the background story. Because of that, & also because Astarte probably won't join until she's much farther in, it'll be a while yet.
Back to top Go down
Seraph

Seraph

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 11:00 am

But some of the ReBuild Evas look damn cool D:
Back to top Go down
Leafy

Leafy

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 11:04 am

I haven't seen Rebuild yet, but I'd still definitely join.
Back to top Go down
Tsukuyomi

Tsukuyomi

Quote : I screwed myself with a screwdriver in the thumb.

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Regarding to what is said on the first page.

I have read the manga as far as it goes, have also seen the first anime. I have also seen the movies 1.0 and 2.0. The first movie started quite good, felt like a compilation more or less of the manga/anime. But in the second part, although there was new scenes, it felt like suddenly these 14 year olds had a mind of a 30 year old, behaving like they do in Felicity and Dawson Creek, being so rational and understanding and whatnot. And I really dislike how Asuka turns out in 2.0. Come on, really now? Since when would she ever be understanding like that? I don't think I ever loved her, but she definitely had her place in the anime/manga. The annoying person who saw askance at others but truth to be told, she had her issues of her own. And that is why I like NGE so much; It's philosophical and asks questions. Everybody have issues of their own and everybody handles it differently.
Back to top Go down
HarleyThomas

HarleyThomas

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Given their circumstances they're forced to grow up sooner than the rest of the people their age left in the world. What with the whole saving the world on a weekly basis. And wiping a good portion of it out in regards to Shinji.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 10:34 pm

I have to agree with him, though, they do become fairly cliched heroes. Contrast in Eva, where they still had to "grow up faster," but did so as emotionally damaged weirdos.
Back to top Go down
Tsukuyomi

Tsukuyomi

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 12:54 pm

HarleyThomas wrote:
Given their circumstances they're forced to grow up sooner than the rest of the people their age left in the world.
I don't dislike that part/aspect of the story; What I do dislike is... I don't know how to put it... Asuka being a captain is kind of ridiculous since we already know she is a prodigy by the fact that at the age of 14 she has an university degree. But what disturbs me the most is the phone call she makes to Misato before testing EVA 03. It's... it feels out of character, to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:15 pm

I don't remember the Captain part, but it's worth noting that Captain is a military rank, and Asuka is technically an elite soldier. You could compare it to Edward Elric passing the State Alchemy exam at 12, and because of that, he is automatically assigned a rank equivalent to a Major. Honestly, the degree part bothers me more, but even then, I don't know what her degree actually is, and like everything else in Eva, it's meant to be subverted brutally.

As for the other thing, again, don't remember the exact circumstances, but there were several spots in the original where the characters could have gone down a more positive route of development, but they didn't. 2.0 showed several characters, including Asuka, starting down that path instead of the more negative choices they made in the first series, only for shit to hit the fan.
Back to top Go down
Tsukuyomi

Tsukuyomi

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 1:25 pm

Maybe I'm just too realistic and see military ranks as something you have to obtain through years of service, since that's how it happens IRL.
Back to top Go down
HarleyThomas

HarleyThomas

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 9:52 pm

Watched End of Evangelion last night. As expected, it scared the shit out of me.

Love the trailer. "The fate of humanity rests on one young boy" cut to Shinji screaming bloody murder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Evangelion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evangelion Thread   Evangelion Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Evangelion Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next